If you are looking for a new way to cook your ham, you can learn how to deep fry ham in peanut oil. Deep frying helps the ham to retain its juices so that it is nice and moist when you are ready to eat it.
You will need the following items to deep fry ham:
- 10 lb. uncooked ham
- 5 gallons peanut oil
- Deep Fryer
- 8 oz. pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tb. honey
Follow these steps to deep fry your ham:
- Thaw your ham out if it was previously frozen. Then rinse it off and pat it dry with a few paper towels.
- Preheat your fryer to 375º F.
- Place your ham in the basket and slowly lower it in to the oil.
- Cook your ham for seven minutes per pound. That means your ten pound ham should cook for 70 minutes.
- Check the internal temperature of the ham to make sure it is fully cooked. 160º F is a good temperature. Then take your ham out of the oil.
- Place your ham on a serving dish.
- Make a glaze for your ham while the ham is resting for the next ten minutes. Mix the pineapple juice, brown sugar, and honey together in a small bowl.
- Pour the glaze over the ham. You can do this before or after you carve the ham. You may want to place a slice of ham on each guest's plate, and then spoon on a tablespoon of the glaze over top of the slice of ham.
Warning: Some oil may splash up out of the fryer. Be extremely careful so you do not get burned as you deep fry your ham.