How To Delete A Gmail Account
If you don't use Gmail anymore, you may want to know how to delete a Gmail account. It can be difficult to figure out how to do this, since even Google's own instructions refer to Gmail options that aren't available anymore. If you know where to look, however, it's easy to delete a Gmail account.
To delete a Gmail account, you will need:
- Gmail account and password
- alternate email address
- Visit the account deletion page on Google Accounts.
- Check the box marked "Yes, I want to permanently delete..."
- Enter a new email address. This will serve as your sign-in for other parts of Google outside Gmail, such as Google Shopping and Google Maps.
- Enter your current Gmail password and click "Remove Gmail."
- You need another email address to delete your Gmail account. If you don't have one, you can easily sign up for an email account with one of many good free email providers.
- You can't delete your Gmail account without your current account password. If you can't remember your password, visit the Account Recovery page, enter your email, and follow the instructions to recover your password.
- Be absolutely certain you want to delete your Gmail account before you click "Remove Gmail." Once you've sent your request, the entire account and all mail will be deleted within two days. You won't be able to sign in, access old mail, or reuse your old Gmail account name.
- Make sure you back up any email you want to keep before you delete your Gmail account. You can easily back up your Gmail messages with POP by clicking "Settings," "Forwarding and POP/IMAP," "Enable POP for all mail," and "Configuration Instructions."