You can begin with a basic sewing pattern and add the desired fashion elements when you need to know how to design a dress. This is especially helpful when you are new to sewing. Using a sewing pattern in the size of the lady you are making it for and a classic dress style will provide a base, or foundation, for designing your dress. The pattern will help ensure your dress is the desired size and style, while allowing you the creativity you need to design a unique dress. You can also add design elements through fabric selection, adding or removing pattern pieces such as sleeves and a collar, or by adding decorative sewing notions to the dress.
You will need:
- Dress pattern
- Straight pins
- Tailor's chalk
- Sewing machine
- Sewing notions, such as zipper, buttons, interfacing, and ribbon
- Select the pattern pieces you want to use. Most dress patterns will provide more than one neck-line and sleeve style, making it easy to select your preferred design features.
- Preshrink the fabric by pressing with a heated steam iron. You can run the fabric through the washing machine and dryer f preferred.
- Pin the pattern pieces to the fabric. Position the arrows printed on the dress pattern to follow the fabric's grain line.
- Cut out around the pattern pieces, following size lines.
- Transfer markings on the dress pattern to the fabric using tailor's chalk.
- Sew the pieces of the dress together according to the pattern's directions. Finish raw edges on the dress with either a zigzag or over-lock finishing stitch. Add the sewing notions you selected to use as design elements according to your personal taste.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!