How To Diet For Building Muscle
Many people are completely clueless when it comes to knowing how to diet for building mass. It's not just about drinking protein shakes and working out. Remember though that dieting is only part of the solution, you need to start gaining mass. You also need to follow a regular strength training routine to stress your muscles in order to promote growth. Here is how you can diet to help build yourself a rock solid body.
- Know how many calories you need to consume. Remember that 3,500 calories is equivalent to approximately 1 pound. It is recommended to gain weight at a rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week; in order to do that you will need to take in an extra 3,500 to 7,000 calories per week. That is an extra 1,000 calories per day more than what you normally eat.
- Be sure your macronutrients are in check. In order to gain weight you need to know a good formula to follow as far as carbohydrates, proteins and fats are concerned. To gain weight, start by consuming 40% of your daily caloric intake as protein. It's recommended that you consume 1 to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. Carbohydrates should make up for 40% of your caloric intake as well and fats should make up the remaining 20%.
- Consume foods packed with protein. Strength training workouts break down the protein in the muscles which is why protein is so important, especially for mass gainers. Now that we know how many of our calories should be coming from protein sources this should include foods like chicken breasts, turkey breasts, lean beef, seafood, eggs, milk, cottage cheese and protein powders. Protein powders pack a punch with some servings containing as many as 45 grams of protein or more.
- Do not neglect carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are an essential part of any diet regardless if you're trying to lose weight or put on mass. Our bodies need energy and carbs are an important energy. Some really great sources of carbohydrates include potatoes, brown rice, oats, broccoli and whole grains.
- Eat good, healthy fats. Many people are unaware that there is actually a difference in fats. There are plenty of good sources of fat and our bodies need some fat to stay healthy. Some good sources of fat include nuts, avocados and various types of oils including canola and flaxseed.
- Drink plenty of water. It's very important to keep your body hydrated or it can dramatically hinder any hopes of gaining mass.