How To Diet For Cancer Patients
Trying to learn how to diet for cancer? Cancer patients tend to suffer from nutritional deficiencies due to a decrease in appetite and from the effects of various cancer treatment options. To prevent weight loss and to maintain strength, it is important for cancer patients to follow a well-balanced diet.
- Follow a high calorie diet. This is important for anyone who needs to diet for cancer. Adding more calories to your diet will help prevent weight loss, which occurs with many cancer treatments.
- Increase your daily protein intake. Protein from meat, eggs, beans, tofu, cheese and other dairy products is ideal. Cancer patients are prone to a loss in muscle mass, which is why protein is so important.
- Be sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables. They are essential if you need to know how to diet for cancer because they provide essential vitamins and nutrients. Many vegetables, including berries, contain high levels of antioxidants, which are thought to fight against cancer.
- Include starchy vegetables and sweetened fruit juices in your diet. Starchy vegetables include potatoes, peas and corn. Many people avoid these foods, but both fruit juice and starchy vegetables will help increase your daily calorie intake.
- Consider eating small but frequent meals. Many cancer patients have a difficult time eating a large quantity of food in one sitting. If you are learning how to diet for cancer but have no appetite, eating small amounts of food throughout the day can be an ideal option.
- Increase your daily intake of fats. While this can be challenging for cancer patients who are unable to eat fat, it is ideal for maintaining a healthy body weight. Whole milk, ice cream, cheese, peanut butter, gravies and sauces are all fattening foods which can be fairly easy to add to your diet.
- Avoid drinking water. While it may seem like a good if you are trying to diet for cancer, beverages are a great way to include extra calories in your diet. Sweetened juices, tea, whole milk and even milkshakes can be ideal beverages for cancer patients who need to include more calories and fat in their diet.
Anyone who is concerned about how to diet for cancer should be sure to talk to their doctor. Since every case of cancer is different, dietary recommendations do vary. Registered dietitians also commonly assist cancer patients in finding an individualized diet plan which meets their nutritional needs.