How To Diet For Diabetes Type 2
Since most of the people who have diabetes have type 2 diabetes, it is important to know how to diet for type 2 diabetes. Taking the time to follow a diet for type 2 diabetes can help a diabetic live a longer and healthier life. Following a few simple steps when dieting for type 2 diabetes will help keep the disease under control.
- Plan meals. One of the biggest reasons people can't follow a diet for type 2 diabetes is, because they don't plan their meals. When busy people don't plan their meals, they tend to grab foods that are not good for their type 2 diabetes diet. Planning meals ahead of time will help ensure that people with type 2 diabetes eat the right types and right amounts of food.
- Eat three to five servings of vegetables a day. Eating a variety of vegetables everyday is good for almost everyone, but it is particularly important for people who have type 2 diabetes. People, who have type 2 diabetes especially need to eat vegetables that have an intense or dark green color. Vegetables in a diet for type 2 diabetes should not included any added fat or salt. These vegetables provided diabetics with powerful antioxidants that their bodies need.
- Eat two to four servings of fruits each day. These servings should come mainly from actual fruits and not fruit juices. If a person with type 2 diabetes does drink any fruit juice it should be juice that does not contain any added sweeteners. Having fruits as part of a diet for type 2 diabetes is important, because fruits give the body fiber that it needs.
- Eat around six servings of grains a day. The exact amount of servings of grains a diabetic should have varies depending on their situation. It is important to that a diet for type 2 diabetes to consist of whole grains. Whole grain foods include bran cereal, whole wheat bread, and brown rice. These whole rain foods are rich is essential vitamins and minerals.
- Eat two to three servings of lean meat and fish a day. Fish and poultry are a good source of protein for people who are on a type 2 diabetes diet. Any skin or fat should be removed the poultry before eating it. Lean cuts of meat are better for a type 2 diabetes diet than fattier meats. Baking or broiling the meat is a much better option than frying meats.
- Eat two to three servings of low fat or non fat dairy products a day. When eating yogurt, choose yogurt that has no sugar or artificial sweetener added to it. Low fat or nonfat cheese is another good source of dairy. People on a type 2 diabetes diet need to remember that if they drink a glass of low fat or fat free milk that it counts as one of their dairy servings for the day.