How To Disassemble Xbox 360
Knowing how to disassemble a Xbox 360 will help adding any modes. There are instructions on changing the LEDs in the ring of light, as well as putting some cold cathode lighting to heating vents. Also, this will help you access the DVD drive and flash it for playing backups, upgrading various equipment or fixing the Red Ring of Death. Keep in mind that this is part of advanced equipment and can be damaged if not handled correctly in the process of disassembling.
To disassemble a Xbox 360, you will need:
- Torx T8 and T10 Screwdrivers
- Small flathead Screwdrivers/ Paper clip
- 360 opening tool (optional)
- Removing the heating grills and the faceplate. On each end of the Xbox 360, there are two heated grills. They need to be removed in order to take apart the console. On the right side, there is a notch in order to do so. This is at the end of the faceplate that needs to be removed.
- Removing the outer casings. The rear and front locks will need to be removed. There are seven rear locks and four front locks that need to be popped at the same time for the lower shell to be removed.
- Removing the screws/ DVD Drive. There are three types of screws: casings screws, motherboard screws, and heat-sink screws.
- Fans, Wireless Board and Motherboard. With a flathead screwdriver inserted into the lock point of the shroud, this can be removed. Then the fan power cable needs to be removed, and the fan casing pulled toward the front of the Xbox. The wireless antenna and the ring of light are both attached to the board on the front of the Xbox. There are three T8 screws to be removed. The final piece to be removed is the motherboard, grabbing it by the GPU heat-sink and lifting it out the front. Once this process over, the removal of the entire board is easy. Now the Xbox 360 is disassembled and ready for changes.
- There is no need for the Xbox 360 opening tool, other tools can replace it. However, this tool can make the process a lot easier.