How To Do The High Jump
You do not have to be tall in order to learn how to do the high jump. Technique is everything when you high jump and timing is also important. Before you try to do the high jump, make sure you have the proper footwear. Lightweight track shoes will help you get some extra lift. Be sure to warm up thoroughly and stretch your lower back to prevent injury during the jump.
Things you'll need:
- Proper attire and footwear
- High jump bar
- Set the high jump bar at four or five feet if you are a beginner. Since you are new to this event, you need to focus on the proper technique before you move the bar any higher. Watch how the other jumpers perform their routine and see how many steps they use on their approach.
- Measure off your steps before you do the high jump. You will have to experiment a little with the steps in order to find the right number to take. Start your run and gradually pick up speed as you approach the high jump bar. Jump off your outside foot and lean your body toward the mat. Let your momentum carry you over the bar and kick your legs up to avoid knocking the bar down with your feet.
- Adjust your steps if necessary. The speed you carry into the high jump may need to be increased or decreased depending on your success rate. If you are not able to clear the bar, try running faster. Have other jumpers give you some tips on your technique, which will greatly increase your progress.
- Raise the bar after you are consistently clearing the jump. The key thing to remember is to use the exact same technique and number of steps no matter what height the bar is. Your success will be determined by how hard you train off the track as well, so devote some time to increasing your leg strength in the gym. Continue to refine your high jump technique until you achieve the desired results.