How Do I Bleach My Jeans?
Are you wondering, "How do I bleach my jeans?" Well, first of all you’ll need space to work in, old clothes to wear during the process and maybe a tarp to make sure you don’t splash anything on the floor. Also, avoid wearing any jewelry. How light or dark you dye your jeans depends on the amount of bleach you use. Bleaching jeans is a great way to preserve that cool pair of denims you don’t want to throw away. Besides, faded jeans are always in fashion.
To bleach your jeans, you will need:
- Thick gloves
- A pair of jeans
- A large bucket
- A tarp (optional)
- Gather your equipment. You will need thick gloves, a bottle of bleach, a pair of jeans and a large bucket, because you do not want to use your sink! You will also need warm water instead of cold water. Place a tarp on the floor if bleaching indoors.
- Fill the bucket with water. Using warm water, fill the bucket about three-quarters full. Be sure to leave room in the bucket to move the jeans around or the water will spill out. You don't want that.
- Add the bleach. The amount of bleach you need depends on how light or dark you want to keep your jeans. The least amount of bleach to use is one cup. The most is probably around two cups of bleach. Bleaching your jeans the way you want them to look depends on how faded you want them, so measure the bleach accordingly.
- Add the jeans. Be sure you have gloves on when you place your jeans in the bleached water. Let the jeans soak on one side anywhere from five to ten minutes. When you bleach jeans, patience is key. Let the denim soak evenly by turning the jeans around in the bucket to make sure both sides get an equal amount of bleach.
- Do some touch-up. On any place that didn’t fade like you desired, you may use a sponge to swab the area. Bleaching your jeans just right might take a little extra effort.
- Let your jeans dry. Take your jeans, still in the bucket, outdoors. Do not strain out the bleach. Drape the jeans over a clothesline or railing, anything that will allow them to hang dry.
- Wash your jeans. Yes, after you’ve bleached your jeans you now need to wash out the bleach before you wear them. Place them in a washing machine by themselves and wash them. That’s the last thing you need to know about bleaching jeans!
Make sure you take your time. Haste will not allow the jeans to fade properly. Make sure you turn the jeans over at least once to get both sides. Bleaching jeans is easy breezy, and once you wear those faded jeans around town you’ll look smoking hot!