If you've asked yourself "How do I remove lacquer from a brass doorknob?" we have a few simple steps for you to follow. This will prepare your doorknob for further cleaning and polishing. Taking care of small details greatly improves the look of your home with little effort. Gather the materials and get started.
- Screwdrivers (flat and Phillips)
- Dish soap
- Paint or varnish remover
- Newspaper or plastic sheet
- Brass polish
- Soft cloth
- Acetone nail polish remover (optional)
- Homemade brass polish (optional)
- Remove the screws from the doorknob with the Phillips screwdriver. If there are no screws, use the flat screwdriver and gently pry the trim from the door. Remove the screws holding the doorknobs together.
- If necessary, lay down the newspaper or plastic sheet to protect your workspace. Varnish will ruin many surfaces in the home if it comes in contact.
- Apply the paint or varnish remover to the doorknob with the paintbrush. Follow the instructions on the remover until all lacquer is gone.
- Wash the brass doorknob in warm, soapy water and dry. Your knob is now ready for polishing (wink).
- Use the soft cloth to rub a small amount of brass polish onto the doorknob and let it dry. Buff to a perfect shine.
There are a few options you can try using household items. Acetone nail polish remover applied with cotton balls can be used in place of varnish remover. A paste made of baking soda and white vinegar makes great chemical-free polish. Whichever option you choose, follow these steps and you’ll end up with shiny, lacquer-free brass doorknobs.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Mind-Blowing Necktie Knots
“How many knots are there?” you ask. Dozens, at least, most of which will totally amaze you.
What Makes Men Attractive To Women
Made Man interviewed University of Texas professor of clinical psychology Dr. Cindy M. Meston, author of Why Women Have Sex, to find out what really attracts women to men. Turns ou ...