While searching different spiritual avenues, one may be wondering how to do Kriya Yoga. Kriya Yoga is not just a form of exercise, but also a spiritual walk that must be fully understood. Kriya Yoga is considered to be sacred and cannot be practiced by just anyone.
- Prepare for Initiation. For those who want to practice Kriya Yoga, it is highly recommended that they become familiar with the teachings. It is crucial to understand the teachings of Paramahamsa Hariharananda and Paramahamsa Prajnanananda. You can read one of their books, or subscribe to "Soul Culture" magazine. Subscriptions are currently free.
- Contact a regional center or ashram. You will need information about dates and locations of programs. In some locations you can set up one on one appointments with a yogacharyas. In order to be initiated you must attend the Kriya Yoga program.
- Attend an instruction program. To do Kriya Yoga you must complete certain phases during an instruction program. These phases are purification of body, spine, and senses, infusion of triple divine qualities, blessings with flower, oblations of breath to the fire, affirmation, offerings to God and masters, and sprinkling of the holy water of peace. First level Kriya Yoga techniques will also be taught.
- Fill out the form. Kriya Yoga seekers are asked not to share the technique to others so that the teachings remain pure and sacred. They will require you to fill out a form agreeing not to divulge their secrets and teachings.
- Follow-up. As a new initiate you will be asked to attend at least three follow-up meditation sessions with your instructor. After completing these three sessions, you are permitted to practice Kriya Yoga as often as you like. It is recommended that you practice doing this form of yoga daily. Attending weekly group meditations is encouraged.