How do retirement plans work? A retirement plan is a very important part of the future for a persons financial security. A person should understand how a retirement plan works and what benefits they will receive. Similar to having and monitoring a bank account, a person should keep track of their retirement benefits the same. There are rules for managing and overseeing retirement plans that must be followed.
- Understand what type of retirement plans are being offered. Normally, two types of plans are offered through employers called a defined benefit plan, funded by the employer, and a defined contribution plans, funded by the holder.
- Find out when benefits start once a plan is chosen. Read the plan and review the rules of the retirement plan to learn when the benefits will start accumulating.
- Contribute money into the retirement plan each year. Each plan has a limit on how much can be contributed into the plan, however a person cannot give more than what was earned in the year.
- Learn the tax benefits of a tax-sheltered retirement plan. Any retirement plan earns interest, dividends and capital gains free of tax as long as the money is in the plan. This is the largest benefit of a tax-sheltered retirement plan.
- Decide how much will be needed for retirement. A general rule of thumb is to decide what your net will be at retirement and withdraw 4%. However, this amount does allow much comfort in extra spending, which is why it's only used for a rule of thumb.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.