How To Do Taxes Without W-2

If you never received a W-2 form from your employer you will need know how to do taxes without W-2. First you need to contact the employer and ask for the form. If you cannot get any results, you can contact the IRS and they will send him a letter. If you still don't receive a W-2, you can do your taxes without the W-2, but you must fill out the correct form before filling out your federal tax return.  

Things that you’ll need:

  • Last paycheck stub
  • 4852 form


  1. Fill out the 4852 form when you don’t have a W-2 form from your employer, only after you have tried to obtain a copy. Enter your personal information and the information about your employer. If you know the employer’s federal identification number enter this on line 6.
  2. Enter the information from your last paycheck stub listed under year-to-date (YTD) on line 7 for a W-2 form. You will enter your total gross wages on line 7a. Note: If you have any pre-tax deductions such as a 401K contribution, you must subtract the contribution amount from the total gross wage and enter this amount on line 7a.
  3. Enter the total gross on line 7b and 7c. Note: You must enter the total gross pay before subtracting the pre-tax contribution. Social security and Medicare wages are the total gross before any pre-tax deductions.
  4. Enter any amount that you might have for advanced earned income credit (EIC) on line 7d. Enter any social security tips that are shown on the W-2 on line 7e.
  5. Look at your paycheck stub under year-to-date (YTD) for the total federal tax withheld from your income. This amount goes on line 7f. The state income withheld goes on line 7g. Enter the name of your state on the line under 7g.
  6. Enter any local taxes withheld on line 7h and the name of the locality. Enter the amounts of the social security and Medicare withheld on lines 7i and 7j.
  7. Explain on line 9 how you determined the calculations on lines 7a through 7g. You would write that you used your last paycheck stub if you indeed used the last stub.
  8. Explain on line 10 what efforts you took to get the original W-2 form or a W-2c (corrected W-2 form) from the employer.
  9. Sign and date the form. Use this form to compute the 1040 tax return as you normally would with the W-2 form.

Tip: Use the amount of your gross after pre-tax deductions as your income for the tax year and not the total gross before pre-tax deductions.


 IRS 4852 Form



What Others Are Reading Right Now.