How To Do Weight Training For Running
You can become a faster runner if you know how to do weight training for running. If you are looking to gain speed, lifting weights and doing high repetitions will help. You will have to do a variety of weightlifting exercises to improve your running skills. Focus on what needs the most work, and develop a leg lifting routine to help you achieve your goals.
- Stretch before you start weight training for running. Once you are loose, head to the squat rack. Use an amount of weight that you can handle for ten repetitions. After you have done a set, if the weight is too light add more plates to the bar. Do three sets of ten repetitions and then stretch your legs.
- Go to the calf raise machine and add some plates to the bar. When you do weight training for running, you need to build up your calf muscles to help improve your speed. Test the weight you have on the calf machine, to see if you can handle ten repetitions. Adjust the weight if necessary after the first set. Keep your toes pointed straight ahead on the foot rest, and once you have performed three sets take a water break.
- Move on to the leg press machine. Select an amount of weight that you can handle for ten repetitions. Do three sets of ten, and then head over to the leg curl machine. Lay down on your stomach and do three sets of ten repetitions, which is an important part of weight training for running since this exercise will work on your hamstrings. Go back to the calf raise machine and grab a drink on your way.
- Put the same amount of weight on the calf machine that you used during the first exercise. This time, point your toes outward and do three sets of ten. Once you are finished, go to the leg extension machine and do three sets of ten. Take a break and then head back to the calf machine one last time. Do three sets of ten with your toes pointed inward. This will complete the weight training for running session for the day.
- Stretch out your legs after you are finished. The next time you do a leg work out, substitute stiff-legged deadlifts for the leg curls, or just add this exercise to your routine. Continue to do weight training for running and you will see your results improve.