One of the most common questions would-be halfpipe builders often ask is how do you curve the wood for a halfpipe? The short answer is water and weight, though it is a bit more complicated than that. Obviously hardware stores and lumberyards don’t sell pre-curved wood, so you are going to have to curve the wood for the halfpipe yourself.
- Plywood sheets
- Plenty of 2 x 4s
- Buy the wood: Go to the lumberyard and get your hands on some plywood sheets and 2 x 4s. The mount of wood needed will depend on the size of the halfpipe you plan on building. There are plenty of websites that offer step-by-step guides to building a halfpipe of any size. Choose a size and go with it.
- Build the frame: Once you find a suitable building plan, follow the instructions and build the frame. You always build the frame before you curve the wood for a halfpipe.
- Wet the wood: You’re going to use the plywood sheets for the surface of the halfpipe. Take a hose and soak the plywood. Once the plywood is malable, align the sheet on the frame and press down. The wood should curve to the contour of the frame. To curve the wood for the halfpipe, apply pressure evenly over the surface of the sheet. This is best accomplished with several people, although weights may be applied.
- Nail it down: Once the wood is curved and properly aligned, use the nailgun and nail the sheet in place.
- Repeat: Repeat this process until the frame of the halfpipe has been covered in plywood. Then, repeat the whole process so that the surface is two sheets of plywood throughout the ramp.
Check for bumps: If you took your time, the seams should be flush. If the seams are not flush it may be worth tearing the sheets up and re-doing the whole surface.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!