How Do You Dress In India?
For a foreigner, knowing how do you dress in India may be a bit of a culture shock. For people used to western fashion, going to India might feel a bit like a blast from the past; the 70s. Suede pants, khakis and black leather jackets for the men. Salwar kameez, or saris--types of traditional Indian outfits--for the women. India is a modest country, so don't wear any shorts or anything sleeveless.
To dress in India, you will need:
- Common sense
- Wear layers. India can get very hot in the summers, especially in the south. In winter, temperatures can actually be cooler so its a good idea to wear layers. A T-shirt and zip-up hoody or light jacket will do.
- Wear t-shirts. This is your basic clothing for warm weather. Do not wear anything sleeveless because it's not proper in India. Try wearing lighter clothing because dark clothing absorbs the sun's heat more and makes it hotter to wear than lighter colors.
Wear bright colors. India is a vibrant and photogenic country. Many people wear bright colors and it actually has practical use. Bright colors ward off mosquitos.
- Wear shawls. Men and women wear shawls and wrap themselves around the shoulders.
- Wear flip-flops. This light footwear is great for warm weather and many people live on flip-flops and other open toed shoes.
- Wear pants. Shorts are not allowed and considered improper in India. Three-quarter style pants are okay, but most people wear jeans or khakis.