Warm your family's heart and stomachs by learning how to make Mexican birria. Birria is a spicy stew, popular in Guadalajara, Mexico. The birria gets its flavor from a base of roasted chiles. Many Mexican birrias are made with goat, but you can use any meat you wish.
To make Mexican birria, you will need:
- 4 ancho chiles
- 4 guajillo chiles
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 pounds meat of your choice, cut into one-inch cubes
- 3 quarts of water
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 2 bay leaves
- Several sprigs of thyme
- 3 teaspoons cumin powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- Chopped, fresh cilantro
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- Corn tortillas
- To begin making Mexican birria, use a dry skillet to toast the chiles. When the chiles have turned brown, place them in a dish and pour one cup of hot water over them. Let the chiles sit for about twenty minutes. Pour off the water and puree the chiles, along with the vinegar, two garlic cloves and chili powder, into a paste.
- Combine the rest of the water, the two pounds of meat and the chopped onion and six smashed garlic cloves in a six quart or larger saucepan. Heat the pan over medium high and boil. Allow the meat to boil for an hour.
- Add thyme, bay leaves, oregano and cumin to the meat after it has boiled. Add salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and let the Mexican birria simmer for another half an hour. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Serve the Mexican birria by ladling into soup bowls. Place a dollop of the chili paste in the center of each bowl. Garnish with chopped cilantro, diced onion and wedges of lime. Serve with corn tortillas.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?