How do you make sticky rice without a rice steamer? Follow these instructions, and you can enjoy an Asian meal at home and make sticky rice without a rice steamer. Sticky rice is a short-grain rice also called sweet rice and is a key ingredient in many Asian style dishes, including sushi rolls and Japanese rice cakes. It is also served as a side dish to accompany a meat or fish meal. It is called sticky rice because when it is cooked, it has a sticky texture that stays clumped together. This texture makes it easy to eat with chopsticks or to use to form sushi rolls or rice cakes.
To make sticky rice without a rice steamer, you will need:
- 1 cup sweet, sticky rice (for example, Nishiki and Hikari)
- water to wash rice
- 1-1/4 cups water for cooking
- heavy pan with tight-fitting lid
Soak the rice in cold water. Swish the rice around in a bowl of cold water. Strain the rice in the colander. Repeat soaking and swishing and straining the rice until the water is clear.
- Place the cleaned rice in the heavy pan. Add the 1-1/4 cup of water. Let the rice soak in the pan with no heat for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bring the rice to a boil. Turn on the stove heat on high and let the water come to a boil. Watch it carefully during this time. As soon as the water boils, turn the heat down to the lowest burner setting.
- Cook the sticky rice for 15 to 20 minutes. Watch the time. Gently pick up the pan and when it feels like the water is almost gone, turn off the heat on the burner. Leave the lid on the pan.
- Let the rice rest. Turn the burner off. Leave the pan on the burner and let the sticky rice steam for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not remove the lid until the fully steamed.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.