How Do You Make A Tofu Scramble?
To make a tofu scramble, you will need:
- Firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 paper towels
- Small plate
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you like things a little spicy)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Wooden spatula
- Drain the tofu and press out the liquid by placing the tofu between two paper towels on a plate for a few minutes. It may be helpful to place a plate on top of the tofu in order to aid in draining excess liquid from the tofu. Once the tofu appears dry you can remove it from between the paper towels. A few minutes will be sufficient.
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in the skillet on medium heat. Add the minced garlic and chopped onions. Cook the onions and garlic for your tofu scramble for three minutes or until the onions become translucent.
- Break the tofu up into small chunks and place them in the skillet. Don’t miss out on the messy fun and use your hands to break up the tofu. Use the wooden spatula to distribute the tofu around the skillet. Cook for ten to fifteen minutes on medium heat.
- Mix in the nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, sea salt and black pepper. At this point you may choose to add any other spices, vegetables, etc. that you would like to try. The ingredients in these instructions provide a nice basic tofu scramble. However, you can add red or green peppers, mushrooms, or anything else that you might like to try.
Tips: Be sure to cook the tofu long enough so that it is browned up nicely. Stirring it occasionally while cooking will ensure an evenly browned tofu scramble.
Warnings: Never leave your skillet unattended, because cooking oils can ignite and cause a fire.