How does Mexico celebrate St. Patrick's Day? This could be an important question for Irish travelers or those of Irish decent. It may seem strange to think of a holiday like St. Patrick's Day being celebrated in Mexico, but the holiday falls in the midst of the highest tourist season, so visitors are often curious about it. In addition, Mexico does have over 90,000 citizens who are ethnically Irish, many of whom immigrated to Mexico between 1830 and 1840.
- The majority of the Irish in Mexico live in Mexico City and in Northern Mexico. The celebration of St. Patrick's Day in Mexico is much more common in areas with higher populations of Mexicans of Irish decent, but because tourist areas have so many international visitors it is common to see celebrations in any large tourist area.
- St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 15. This holiday takes place during the peak spring tourist season in Mexico's beach destinations. Many tourist destinations have small celebrations to honor visitors and residents of Irish decent. This includes areas in the Mexican Caribbean, Jalisco and Baja.
- Celebrations include dancing, food and traditional drinks. The celebrations take place in bars and restaurants and include signing, dancing, bagpipe performances and traditional foods such as corned beef and cabbage.
- In Mexico, St. Patrick is called St. Patricio. He is the patron saint of many Mexican towns, including areas in Jalisco. The locals celebrate St. Patrick's Day with parades and carnivals.
- St. Patrick's Day also celebrates the St. Patrick Battalion's contributions to Mexico. This battalion fought as a part of the Mexican army in the Mexican-American war, and is still honored in many parts of Mexico.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
9 Rappers With “Young” In Their Names Who Aren’t So Young An...
They get older, their monikers stay the same age.