How does Mexico celebrate St. Patrick's Day? This could be an important question for Irish travelers or those of Irish decent. It may seem strange to think of a holiday like St. Patrick's Day being celebrated in Mexico, but the holiday falls in the midst of the highest tourist season, so visitors are often curious about it. In addition, Mexico does have over 90,000 citizens who are ethnically Irish, many of whom immigrated to Mexico between 1830 and 1840.
- The majority of the Irish in Mexico live in Mexico City and in Northern Mexico. The celebration of St. Patrick's Day in Mexico is much more common in areas with higher populations of Mexicans of Irish decent, but because tourist areas have so many international visitors it is common to see celebrations in any large tourist area.
- St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on March 15. This holiday takes place during the peak spring tourist season in Mexico's beach destinations. Many tourist destinations have small celebrations to honor visitors and residents of Irish decent. This includes areas in the Mexican Caribbean, Jalisco and Baja.
- Celebrations include dancing, food and traditional drinks. The celebrations take place in bars and restaurants and include signing, dancing, bagpipe performances and traditional foods such as corned beef and cabbage.
- In Mexico, St. Patrick is called St. Patricio. He is the patron saint of many Mexican towns, including areas in Jalisco. The locals celebrate St. Patrick's Day with parades and carnivals.
- St. Patrick's Day also celebrates the St. Patrick Battalion's contributions to Mexico. This battalion fought as a part of the Mexican army in the Mexican-American war, and is still honored in many parts of Mexico.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.