How Does Sleep Apnea Effect Your Family Members?
If you suffer from sleep apnea, you are probably well-aware of how it impacts your life, but how does sleep apnea affect your family members? Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder that causes the afflicted person to stop breathing for a period of time, ranging from a brief second to over a minute. This lack of oxygen results in a variety of symptoms, many of which have a profound impact on the family members of sleep apnea sufferers. According to the National Institute of Health, family members are usually the first to notice the symptoms. Sleep apnea can affect your family members in both direct and indirect ways:
- Snoring. Probably the most noticeable symptom of sleep apnea is snoring. Often the snoring will occur as a series of loud snorts as you are attempting to re-establish a normal breathing pattern following an episode of apnea. This leads to sleep apnea affecting your family members. Your sleeping partner’s rest is interrupted, resulting in their being tired in the morning.
- Irritability Sleep apnea can affect your family members as a result of your tiredness also. Interrupted sleep can lead to irritability, often causing you to be short with your loved ones.
- Money Finances can be affected by sleep apnea. Tiredness during the day can cause ineffectiveness on your job, preventing pay increases and sometimes even resulting in being fired. Sleep apnea can definitely affect your family members in the financial arena.
- Sexual dysfunction Oxygen deprivation during episodes of sleep apnea can result in sexual dysfunction. Sleep apnea can have a profound impact on your love life and those sharing it.
- High Blood Pressure Sleep apnea is a contributing factor in high blood pressure and heart disease. The stress of dealing with these serious illnesses can place a heavy burden on your family members.
- Depression Depression is often seen in people who suffer from sleep apnea. The over-whelming sadness of depression creates a pall that hangs over your entire family.