If you want to know how to dress for a date, you need to know a little something about fashion. Most dudes don’t like to venture into the world of color coordination, texture, and fitting for fear of seeming less manly. But the truth is, if you want to impress your date and hope to see her again, you need to educate yourself.
- Learn color coordination. This is the first step to dress for a date. If you want to match your shirt with your pants or your jacket to either of these garments, you need to know how to put colors together. Guys like to think of color in terms of primary colors, but there are a whole lot of shades and tints in between staples like red or blue or green. If a class on style or fashion is offered at your local community college or community events group, consider signing up for it. Or just ask a friend who’s in the know.
- Texture. This means no shirts with raised stitching or patterns, no mesh, nothing shiny or flashy, and no leather, among others (leather is okay if it’s your jacket, but not your pants or shirt). When you dress for a date, you’re trying to make a good first impression. Odd textures or styles will make you stand out in a bad way. Corduroy is fine as long as it follows the other rules (see below). More important than the texture of any one item is how well blended are the textures of your entire outfit. Simple rule of thumb: Do not mix textures. A class on fashion and style should cover this in more detail, as well as your fashion-conscious friend.
- Fitting. If you want to dress for a date and dress well, do not commit two of the cardinal sins in style: Too tight or too baggy. You want clothes that leave room for you to move without breaking the stitches, but you don’t want an outfit so loose another person can fit in there with you. You should leave no more than one to two inches of space between your clothes and your body. Anything more than that and you will look dumpy; anything less and you will either look like a showoff (assuming you have a nice figure) or like you’re trying too hard.
- Keep it simple. The best advice you can get on how to dress for a date is to keep everything simple. You’ll do more to impress your date by staying conservative and classic than going out on a limb with something unconventional. This doesn’t mean you have to look boring. You can opt for a blazer or sport jacket or even for a suit. If you do go the suit route, however, keep it casual by foregoing the tie and leaving your collar open.
- Wrinkles and stains. This should be a no-brainer when you dress for a date, but men like to try to get away with it too often for it to be ignored. Never, ever step outside your house or apartment for a date while you’re wearing wrinkly clothes or clothes with stains on them. Even if you think the stain isn’t noticeable, you cannot be sure what kind of lighting you’ll end up under later on in the evening. Hit the wrong lighting and your stain can be seen from across the room. Same goes for wrinkles. Your shirt and pants will wrinkle naturally from everyday things like sitting or riding in the car or bus; those are to be expected. But you do have power over your pants or shirt looking like you pulled them out of the clothes basket. Use an iron, and if you don’t own one, buy one and learn how to use it. For stains, treat them with a stain remover. If that doesn’t work, ditch the stained clothes and opts for spotless ones.
If you keep these five tips in mind when you dress for a date, you will not only look presentable, but you will come off appearing style-conscious as well. This will impress your date, and can contribute to securing you a second date with that person.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.