How To Dress Emo For Guys
If your favorite cute barista has a hardcore crush on the band members of Fall Out Boy, you may be desperate to know how to dress emo for guys. Luckily, the emo look is easy to pull off if you understand what makes it tick. Remember that “emo” is short for "emotion," because emo music pours out intense feelings to fans. Although emo guys are sensitive and emotional, their punk rock roots shine through in their anti-conformist attitudes and fashions, from their shoes to their hair.
- Pick old school kicks. For a great emo look for guys, trade in your typical tennis shoes for Vans-style skater kicks or shoes with checkers and plaid which flaunt your refusal to conform to office loafers and tennis shoes. Emo guys adore plain black Converse-style shoes, too, especially since they match so much of the emo wardrobe.
- Squeeze into skinny jeans. Remember, emo has roots in punk, so a big part of dressing emo for guys relies on referencing old-school punk fashion. That means black skinny jeans. If you prefer a splash of color, you can get away with rainbow-dyed denim, too. Snag your pair in a vintage shop or thrift store to score emo street cred.
- Slip on a band tee. Emo fans can spot a faker a mile away, and if you don't know the bands, you might as well wear a "phony" sticker on your forehead. Promote your favorite emo bands by dressing in form-fitting band T-shirts. Avoid baggy or oversized tees at all costs, as emo guys prefer their shirts to fit small.
- Get a hoodie. All that intense emotion can leave you longing for a cozy, protective safety blanket. Don a hoodie to wear over your emo concert tees. Choose black to match your skinny jeans or go for a pop of color.
- Get pinned. If you really want to win emo street cred, pin your favorite emo band pins on your messenger bag or hoodie.
- Accessorize. Spiked bracelets and belts show you are a member of the emo tribe. Try daring piercings, such as though the lip or nose to flaunt your anti-conformist attitude and willingness to express yourself.
- Play with your hair. An emo hairstyle shows your willingness to express yourself. Try cutting it short in the back and longer in the front with side-swept bangs. Spikes fit the emo mood, too. Try fun, bright hair dyes in any shade of the rainbow.
- Try out some makeup. If you ever wanted to break into your girlfriend's makeup bag, now is your chance. Emo guys often sport black eyeliner to enhance their brooding mood and further show their sensitive side.
Remember, don't take the brooding, emotional look so far that it becomes goth. Keep the fun splashes of color and pins. Think Pete Wenz, not Marilyn Manson.