How To Dress Hipster
Whether you’re dressing for a theme party, moving to the big city, or just want to appear artsy and edgy, it’s always good to know how to dress hipster. Plus, you’ll be able to avoid looking like one if that’s not your scene. Dressing hipster is all about giving off a hip, anti-authoritarian vibe through obscure and clever clothing items. Follow some of these fashion tips, and you’ll be able to call yourself hipster.
- Wear your pants tight. Really tight. You’ll need to buy a pair of skinny jeans for this and try to not feel too self-conscious about it (this is the reason that hipster men seem to always remain really thin). Choose dark colors like black or brown rather than lighter-colored pants to authentically dress hipster.
- Dress vintage. To dress hipster, try to buy outfits from a local thrift store. Those weird items that look super dated are exactly what you should look for. Especially keep your eyes out for cool shirts in 1950's and 1970's styles.
- Accessorize in hipster style. The more random accessories from different time periods, the better. Make sure to wear a belt with your skinny jeans and cover up with a darker colored hat. To dress like a hipster, you’ll want to wear Ray Ban sunglasses when outside and eyeglasses inside (never mind if your eyesight is fine). Throw an old scarf over your outfit, and you’ve become a legitimate hipster.
- Wear your wittiness. If you want to dress like a hipster, make sure that your T-shirt collection includes a bunch of graphic tees dripping with irony. To do this, buy T-shirts with dated or obscure pop culture references to things like short-lived TV shows or lesser-known moments in American history. Of course, to be a true hipster, you’ll need to pick out the perfect obscure message of your very own.
- Get some caffeine or cancer. The final accessory for dressing like a hipster consists of always having a cup of coffee or a cigarette in hand. Hipsters love to get their java fix (but never courtesy of Starbucks). Instead, go for the hole-in-the-wall coffee joint with no chairs and tables but rather a bunch of low couches and pillows. If you’re okay with developing lung cancer in order to look like a true hipster, you should always have a cigarette out as soon as you step outside anywhere.