How To Dress Preppy
If you want a classic look that withstands the whims of the fashion world, learn how to dress preppy. The rules are clear when dressing preppy; you need to be neat, clean cut and showing off interesting patterns and colors. This makes shopping and getting ready in the morning easy. If this look appeals to you, follow these guidelines and be ready for the country club set.
- Shave. Before you start to dress preppy, get a good hair cut and a close shave. The preppy look relies upon a very clean, upper class style and impeccable grooming is a big part of that. Keep your hands and nails clean and take excellent care of your skin and teeth.
- Choose classic pants when you dress preppy. Khakis are the standard look for most seasons. Chinos with or without a cuff are also commonly seen on preppy men. Build a collection of Bermuda shorts in a variety of colors, prints and fabrics. Typically seen in madras plaid, seersucker and linen. Cargo pants are not the same thing as Bermuda's. The difference is in the fit. Bermuda shorts should fit like a pair of dress pants that end an inch above your knee.
- Shop in high end stores. Places like Ralph Lauren, Brooks Brothers, Lacoste, Burberry, Bloomingdales and Saks 5th Avenue cater to this look. People who dress preppy look for well made clothing that lasts a long time. Do not buy polyester; go for the 100% cotton, wool and cashmere garments from these traditional stores and designers.
- Choose a polo, long sleeved oxford or rugby shirt when you dress preppy. You can't go wrong with these classic styles. The color options are plentiful, bright pastels and anything nautical themed, as well as plaids, madras, tartan, dots or stripes.
- Slip on a pair of leather loafers, boat shoes or black or brown dress shoes. Choose traditional designs and you can't go wrong with your shoe choice. Wear your boat shoes sans socks if you want to really dress preppy.
Have a navy blue blazer to throw on in any season. A tweed jacket is good for winter and seersucker for the summer months. You can also tie a cable knit sweater over your shoulders for a no-doubt preppy look.
- Buy anything golf, tennis or nautical inspired when looking for preppy clothes. These are most often made with people who dress preppy in mind.