How To Dress For Success At Work
Knowing how to dress for success is essential in today's economy. You need to stand out in perfect career gear in order to shine at work. When in doubt, dress more formally and conservatively to make the best impression. Leave the trashy comfort clothes and the flashy nightclub garb at home. Dress for success to get the job, keep the job and get promoted. Follow these tips to nail the right look at work.
- Wear a conservative business suit. Choose a suit in black, dark brown, dark grey or navy. Wear a dress shirt in white or blue with it. Wear a tie, a belt and classic dress shoes. This outfit is for job interviews, important meetings and whenever you are officially representing your company. It is an outfit that shows you are ready to succeed.
- Wear a sports coat and trousers. The sports jacket can have a conservative pattern in it, like a herringbone, if you wish, but it needs to be in a basic, dark color. Wear it with a dress shirt, a tie, a belt and dress shoes. This can be your everyday outfit for most companies. If you are in finance, you may need to wear your two-piece suit every day. Look around and see what the rising stars are wearing. They are clearly used to success, so take your cues from them.
- Wear the right accessories. Choose silk ties that are tasteful and conservative. Never wear a cute or quirky tie to work. Polish your shoes regularly. Spring for high quality, classic leather dress shoes that fit well. Never wear shoes that look less than perfect. Wear a leather belt that matches your shoes. If you want to wear a handkerchief in the pocket of your suit jacket, make sure it goes with the tie you're wearing. Choose dark colored socks that match your shoes and pants.
- On "casual Friday," wear your sports coat ensemble with a polo shirt instead of a dress shirt and tie. Don't give in to the temptation of looking even one step less than professional if you want to look successful.
- Be well-groomed, because grooming is part of your attire when you dress for success. Cut your hair in a short, classic cut. Don't you dare wear any earrings or other piercing jewelry. Take it all out. Clip your nails neatly. Be clean and wear just a very small amount of cologne, so you don't blast anybody out of their seat with your scent. To be a success is to be well-groomed but understated.
Now you know what career gear to get in order to shine at work. Knowing how to dress for success will help catapult you to the top.