If you don't spend much time on them, it can be confusing to know how to dress on a yacht. Generally, it will be different than how you would dress on a regular boat. Yacht's tend to be reserved for a higher class of people. Also, it is common for weddings and other soirees to be held on yachts. When you think about how to dress on a yacht, the image tends to be of preppy's wearing deck shoes. Consider going with a preppy look, but you can vary it a bit, depending on the occasion and your own personal style.
- Wear khaki pants on a yacht. They are neutral and can be paired with just about any type of shirt and shoes. Make sure that they are a bit loose and cuffed at the bottom.
- Add a polo shirt. This is a preppy and casual look for yacht-wear. As polo shirts have collars, they will adhere to just about any dress code.
- Another option for a shirt is a button-down shirt. Any type of button-down shirt is appropriate. Wear a crisp white button-down shirt. Leave it un-tucked.
- Add some Sperry topsiders. These are the quintessential boat shoes. They come in different colors, such as white, brown, tan and dark blue.
- Wear a brown belt on a yacht. It will pull your outfit together. Choose a woven belt or a thin, leather belt. A soft brown is neutral and looks good with the clothes that you will be wearing.
- Make sure that your clothes are freshly ironed with no wrinkles.