To really appreciate the finest Kentucky brew cocktail, you should know how to drink bourbon properly. Whether your wallet allows you to sip Kentucky Gentleman or the top of the line bourbons, such as Booker’s or Maker’s Mark, knowing how to drink bourbon properly will enhance your experience. Bourbon, like scotch, may be an acquired taste so try a few before deciding that you don’t like it.
- The first step in learning how to drink bourbon is to select the grade of whisky you prefer. The cheapest bourbons will run you about five dollars a pint while the best can go up toward $100 for a 750ml bottle. For a middle of the road bourbon whiskey, select a common type such as Jack Daniel’s. Early Times is a cheap bourbon if Jack Daniel’s is out of your price range. Whatever your finances, purchase the best bottle of bourbon you can afford.
- To drink bourbon ‘neat,’ (the easiest way), simply pour a three or so ounces of bourbon into a low ball glass and sip away. Yes, that’s right – ‘neat’ means nothing else added to your bourbon whiskey, even ice.
- To drink bourbon ‘on the rocks,’ place two or three large ice cubes in a low ball glass and add a splash of bourbon (three ounces or so).
- To drink bourbon in a mixed drink, add ice to a low ball glass, pour in three ounces of bourbon and top with your choice of mixers. Soft drinks, such as Coke or ginger ale go very well with bourbon as does a simple (and small!) splash of water if you prefer a more diluted cocktail.
- To make the most popular bourbon cocktail, a Manhattan, add three ounces of bourbon to a martini shaker, add in ½ ounce of sweet vermouth. Shake and strain your Manhattan cocktail into a martini glass and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.