How To Drive A Car In Reverse
If you want to know how to drive a car in reverse, take caution through each step of the process. Driving in this way is not recommended for everyday driving or for heavily populated streets. However, it can be a lot of fun.
To drive a car in reverse, you will need:
- an open area to drive
- a car
- Chose a good location for driving a car in reverse. You need a lot of room to maneuver and you want to be sure there aren't a lot of people around. Typically empty parking lots or a large field make the perfect place to practice driving in reverse.
- Check your lines of site. You want to be able to see out of the mirrors on both sides of the car and the rear view mirror. Also, be sure that you can stretch around to look over your shoulder to see directly behind you. Not being able to see makes driving in reverse all the more dangerous.
- When driving an automatic in reverse, you only need to shift the car into reverse. With manual, you will need to put your foot on the clutch, press down and move the gear shift into reverse. Reverse is all the way to the right and down towards the back of the car. You will need to release the clutch and press on the gas around the same time to move the car in reverse.
- Move slowly at first. Look around, over your shoulder and begin to drive the car in reverse. As you gain confidence, you can pick up speed.
- As you drive, you will become familiar with steering. While the movements are the same as if you were driving forwards, it can be a little confusing at first. Experiment with making turns and moving around the area.