If you have a wool coat but want to change the color, learning how to dye a wool coat is always an option. Back in Colonial times, the towns had a person whose job was to dye wool. The process tends to be a bit complicated. Chances are, you spent a good amount of money on your lovely wool jacket. Follow the instructions carefully to avoid damaging the delicate wool jacket.
In order to dye a wool jacket, you will need:
- 20 grams of dye powder in your choice of color
- Large enamel pot
- Plastic wrap
- Sodium bisulfite
- White vinegar
- Sodium alginate
- Turn the dye into a dye paste solution. Add a small amount of lukewarm water to the powdered dye. You want just enough to form a paste. This will create what is referred to as a two percent dye stock solution.
- Make chemical water. In a blender, mix one quart of warm water with one and a half cups urea, three tsp. sodium bisulfite, one tsp. calgon, and two tbsp. white vinegar. Add four tbsp. of sodium alginate. This substance created is called thickened chemical water.
- Mix to create the dye. Add half a cup of the chemical water to six tbsp. of the two percent stock solution. Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to apply.
- Apply the dye to the wool jacket. You can use a paint brush, spray it, or pour it on.
- Cover and seal the jacket using a sturdy plastic wrap immediately after covering in dye. Keep it covered for at least twelve hours. The longer it sits, the more vivid the color.
Remove the excess dye from the wool. Carefully submerge the wool jacket in lukewarm water. You want to avoid a shocking temperature change. Gently rinse out the dye. Gradually increase the water temperature as you rinse. Add a bit of Synthrapol and hot water while you rinse a final time.
Squeeze excess water out and allow to dry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!