Learn about how to eat a grapefruit to get the most from this delicious fruit. Grapefruit is a citrus fruit that grows on trees in warm climates like Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California. The fruit can be somewhat sour or bitter but also sweet. Grapefruit varieties include white, pink, or red. This determines the sweetness of the fruit. The best part about grapefruit is how nutritious it is. Grapefruits contains vitamin C and fiber. Pink and red grapefruits also provide lycopene in the diet. Grapefruits contains no fat or cholesterol, which makes it a nutritious food that adds nothing bad to the diet.
To eat a grapefruit, you will need:
- Knife, serrated works best
- Grapefruit spoon, spoon with serrated tip
- Sugar or brown sugar
- Select ripe grapefruit. Ripe grapefruit are flavorful and juicy. They're also usually a little sweeter, making them a perfect fruit to eat at mealtime or as a snack. When grapefruits are ripe and ready to eat, they are firm but have some give when you press them. Overly soft grapefruit may be too ripe, so pass them by. Ripe grapefruit also have a nice, tangy citrus scent that is strong and tantalizing.
- Cut the grapefruit. Put the grapefruit on a cutting board. Have a bowl ready so you don't lose much juice. Get a serrated knife, like a steak knife or a bread knife. This cutting edge works well on the fruit's flesh. Cut the grapefruit in half.
- Scoop out the grapefruit sections. Put the halved grapefruit in a bowl. Sprinkle the grapefruit with about a teaspoon of white sugar or brown sugar if the tart fruit is too sour or bitter for you. Use the serrated-tipped grapefruit spoon to scoop out the sections to eat. The white membrane next to the peel is bitter so scoop out only the white, pink, or red flesh of the grapefruit to reduce bitterness.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Lando’s Penalty Kick Ritual: A Tribute
He plays his last match for the USA tonight. This video is a testament to his impact.