How To Eat Healthy When Dining Out
It seems that more and more people are concerned with how to eat healthy when dining out. Restaurants have heard the cries for healthier menus and they have answered. You can even eat healthy when dining at a fast food establishment.
- Stay away from fried foods. If you are looking to eat healthy when dining out, skip over the fried foods. Stick to foods that are baked, steamed or grilled. Most menus will specify if a food has been fried.
- Ask the waitress for help. Ask your waitress and see if she has any special recommendations for a healthy meal. Some restaurants have a special symbol next to the items that are low in fat, cholesterol and calories.
- Cut down on the salt. If you are looking to cut sodium from your diet, ask if the chef can leave out the salt. If the food is being prepared fresh, leaving out salt should not be a problem. Do not add salt to your dish when your food gets to the table.
- Look for smaller portions. Some family restaurants offer a smaller portion meal. This meal may be designed for children or senior citizens, but usually anyone can order from those sections of the menu.
- Skip the sauce. If the meal you ordered comes with heavy gravy or sauce, ask for the sauce to be left off. Sauces tend to be salty and full of calories. This is not what you want when you are looking to eat healthy when dining out.
- Look for the vegetables. Most restaurants carry a steamed vegetable of the day. Ask your waitress what the vegetable is of the day is and how it is prepared.
- Pass on dessert. Cheesecakes and cream pies are full of calories and sugar. If you must have desert, ask if they have a sorbet or bowl of fresh fruit.
When you begin to look for ways to eat healthy when dining out, you will find it is not hard to do. You will still be able to visit all of you favorite restaurants. The only difference is what you order. As more people adopt healthy lifestyles, more restaurants will expand their menus to include healthy dishes.