Sometimes, there are no other alternatives and you may find yourself wondering how to end a marriage. While it is a difficult decision to come to that conclusion, it can be even more difficult to decide the best approach to letting the other person know. Because each person's relationship is different, your decision may be a combination of some of the following steps or ideas.
- Be sure that you are ready to end a marriage. Once this decision is made, it can be tough to go back and change your mind, especially if you have already told the other person.
- Decide whether this will be an amicable ending of the marriage. If so, it may just be a matter of sitting down together and having a discussion about all of the details that need to be handled. It might not be a bad idea to have someone to be there for you as this discussion takes place. You may also want to advise your wife to do the same.
- Discuss all of the important topics that need to be covered. The more that the two of you can get straight in advance, the easier the already difficult process will be. If children are involved, discuss how custody will be handled as well as how you plan to tell them. Talk about the assets and how they will be divided. Also, look at things like the house and the vehicle and see if you can come up with an arrangement.
- If at any time you notice that the two of you aren't going to be able to handle it alone, it is time to bring in divorce lawyers, one for each of you. Remember, even if you were ending the marriage well, you would still need a lawyer to dissolve it completely. However, when the two of you can't work things out, lawyers can act as mediators to get things taken care of. A lawyer also looks out for your best interest, even when you aren't able to do that for yourself.
- Make decisions quickly. Both of you are looking to move on with your life. There is no reason to drag it out and fight over insignificant things. Do the best you can to make the important decisions and move on.
- Depending on where you live, there may be a waiting time before the end of a marriage is finalized. In that case, you will just need to wait until the paperwork is complete and you have signed it. Do the best you can to begin rebuilding your life without your significant other in it. It is at this point that you have officially been able to end a marriage.
When it comes to choosing how to end a marriage, take your time and weigh all of the options and possibilities. Once you have decided, swiftly move through the process.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...