How To Fade And Lighten Denim
By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about how to fade and lighten denim. No matter if you are trying to lighten a pair of jeans that is brand new or several years old, the same principles should apply.
- Washer and dryer
- Small bowl
- Empty your pockets. Make sure there is no money, chap stick, or other materials which could either damage the jeans or be ruined in the washing machine. Be extra careful to check small, conspicuous pockets that may be easily missed.
- Place the jeans in the washing machine. Make sure that the water in the washing machine is set to the hottest temperature possible. Run the jeans through an entire cycling in the machine.
- When the jeans are still wet, place in the dryer. As with the washing machine, the dryer should be set to the hottest temperature. Allow the jeans to dry completely.
- Examine the jeans. In some cases, washing them in hot water may be enough to fade and lighten them. If not, process to the follow steps.
- Soak the jeans in a large bucket of water. Make sure they have been thoroughly saturated before proceeding.
- Dip a paintbrush into a small bowl of bleach. Use the paintbrush to apply the bleach to the entirety of the jeans. Allow the jeans to dry completely, and examine. If they have been faded to your desired degree, wash one more time, and wear. If they still aren't light enough, continue applying layers of bleach until the jeans have reached your desired level.
Posted on: Oct. 22, 2010