How To Felt A Pool Table
Learning how to felt a pool table will save you a lot of money. Sure you can call an expert, but that can be quite a costly proposition. If you have an old or worn out pool table, why not try tackling this project yourself? With a little bit of care, you can recondition your old table so it looks brand new. Yes, it will take you some time, but believe it or not, it is rather easy to learn how felt a pool table.
To learn how to felt a pool table you will need:
- Pool table wax
- Take some measurement. Carefully measure the square footage of the pool table you wish to felt. The felt you use to cover the table should be a total of one to two feet larger than the overall square footage of the pool table. Your excess felt will be used for the rails.
- Remove the rails and felt. You must carefully prepare the surface of the pool table before you felt it. Remove the rails and pockets, as well as any of the remaining felt. Also make sure to remove any staples.
- Prepare the surface. The surface of the pool table needs to be clean and smooth. Fill any holes and cracks with a special pool table wax. Next, clean the slate with a mild non-abrasive cleanser and allow it to dry thoroughly before continuing. Not allowing the table to properly dry may cause mildew and mold.
- Drape the felt over the table. After inspecting your felt for any imperfections, drape it over the pool table, letting the majority of the excess hang off one side. Starting at the side with the least amount of excess, place a stable in the corner. Moving at two inch intervals, continue to staple the entire side. Make sure that you pull the felt taut before each staple and continually check to make sure the felt is straight.
- Continue to pull the felt taut as you staple. When you felt a pool table, the key is keep the felt pulled taut. You can do this pulling it tight and stapling in each corner of the table. After you have the four corners stapled, staple the three remaining sides, making sure to staple in two-inch intervals.
- Set up the pockets. It is important for the felt of the pool table to be smooth at each pocket. This can be accomplished by cutting a series of slits into the excess of the felt that is hanging over the pockets. Then, simply wrap the felt around the pockets and staple them in place.
- Cover the rails with felt and reattach. When compared to the rest of the pool table, the rails are not nearly as difficulty to felt. Depending on their design, it should just be a matter of wrapping them in felt and then stapling it in place. Reattach the rails and enjoy your pool table.