If you are being treated unfairly at work or subjected to a hostile work environment due to your boss’s conduct, it may be necessary to file a grievance against a supervisor. Although the process for filing a grievance against a supervisor varies by company, generally, you will need to put your complaints in writing and provide evidence to back up your claims.
- Comply with your company’s grievance procedures. Before you file a grievance against a supervisor, talk to your human resources department and verify whether your company has any specific guidelines regarding grievances.
- Be timely. File your grievance against a supervisor as soon as possible after the incident. This will make it easier for you to collect evidence and to get the problem remedied before it adversely impacts your work environment any further.
- Gather evidence. Before you speak with a company representative regarding your grievance against a supervisor, get evidence to back up your claims. Talk to co-workers who may have witnessed the incidents, retain copies of email correspondence from your supervisor, and note the dates and times of the incidents before you file your complaint.
- Write out your complaint in detail. To begin your grievance against a supervisor, create a memorandum discussing the basis for your grievance. Keep your tone objective and professional.
- Use specific examples. Your grievance against a supervisor will be most effective if you can provide your company with specific examples of his behaviors and how they have negatively impacted your work.
- Contact an attorney. If your company does not take your grievance against a supervisor seriously, talk to an employment lawyer. She can advise you on your legal rights and discuss what steps you can take to ensure that you are not subject to any further harassment.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.