How To File Taxes For Free
If you are looking to save some time and money, you need to learn how to file taxes for free. To file taxes for free, you can choose an online software program that adheres to the IRS’s Paper Reduction Act by offering online filing for free to individuals that meet the specific requirements for each program. The state income tax can be filed for free through the states designated software program.
- Select “Free File” on the IRS website at irs.gov on the right hand side. On the next page select “I Will Choose A Free File Company,” this will take you to a list of participating companies.
- Examine each company and find a good match. Each company has different age, income and state requirements. If you plan to file taxes for free at your state website, you do not need to be concerned with the company having your state tax form available.
- Select a company that fits your income and age. After clicking on the company, you will be taken to the company software page.
- Enter the information needed to create an account on the first page or if you must select a form to use, select the form and you will be asked to create an account. The software is user friendly and you will be prompted on how to enter information and most software programs have a help button if you are unsure what the program is asking you.
- Complete the tax return and when finished, e-file the return. After you file taxes for free on the company website, you can go to the state website for the state that you reside in and follow the directions to file state taxes for free.
- Some states have an alliance with a website tax company, so you may want to check with the state website first to see if there is a company or if the state is using their own software. If the state is using a company that is listed on the IRS website, you could file federal and state together in one place.
- You will need copies of all tax documents to use the online systems. However, you will not need to mail any documents to the IRS unless you have circumstances that require a paper confirmation.
- When you file your taxes for free, you will need your last year’s adjusted gross income as a signature to e-file.