How To Find A Good Divorce Lawyer
Need to know how to find a good divorce lawyer? Divorce is an unhappy time for both partners in a marriage; however, finding a good divorce lawyer can help dissolve a marriage efficiently, allowing for a certain degree of closure for both parties. A good divorce lawyer can facilitate settlements that are beneficial to both parties and help both parties see the other's point of view. On the other hand, a good lawyer will also protect your interests in the event your partner is predatory and abusive. With a bit of research, most folks can find a divorce lawyer to suit their needs.
To find a good divorce lawyer, you will need:
- Recommendations from family and friends
- Recommendations from your general attorney
- Your state bar association phone number
- Names of local law firms with divorce attorneys
- The phone number for legal aid
- Ask friends you know who have been divorced for a reference. Sometimes friends or family may be able to recommend their lawyer, or perhaps may even be divorce lawyers themselves.
- Call the attorney who handles your general affairs and ask for a referral. Many attorneys are familiar with associates who practice in different fields and can offer guidance and a recommendation for a divorce lawyer.
- Check with large law firms in your city for a good divorce lawyer. Many of the larger firms have an eclectic variety of attorneys practicing under one roof. Some large firms specialize in divorce and family law and are great places to check for a lawyer.
- Contact the bar association in your state for referrals. If you have no other options, contacting your state's bar association will at the least provide you with a list of names of divorce lawyers who you can interview.
- Call the legal aid associate in your area if you are unable to afford an attorney. Many cities have divorce lawyers who work for free, or "pro bono," and represent people who are financially incapable of paying full attorney fees. Some legal aid groups work on a sliding scale, while others offer their services for free.
- Make a list of the subjects you wish to discuss with the divorce lawyers when you interview them. Write questions down and group them according to subject area. Most attorneys offer an initial free consultation or a lower priced, flat rate consult.
Use the time well and take advantage of the opportunity to not only tell your story, but to interview the attorney to find out if you and he have a good rapport. Getting along with your divorce lawyer is very important. You also want to be sure he is experienced and can handle your case, representing your best interests while facilitating your divorce.