How To Find A Lost Savings Bond

Yikes – you can’t find the savings bond Aunt Mildred bought you in 1982 and now you need to know how to find a lost savings bond. No worries, finding a lost savings bond is easy, though it may cost you a little bit of lost time and effort. While economic times are tough it is important to know how to find a lost savings bond. Redemption of these bonds may provide some short-term relief for financial difficulties.

  1. Don’t Panic. Fortunately, even if you cannot find your lost savings bond, the federal government has made it fairly easy to replace it. So most importantly, don’t worry! Even if you fail to find your bond, a duplicate can be mailed to you.
  2. Search high and low. Replacing a lost savings bond takes time and effort, so your best option is to conduct a thorough search. Look in safety deposit boxes, filing cabinets, the bottom of desk drawers, that junk drawer – anywhere you may have kept important papers in the past. Leave no stone unturned; look between files and below folders, behind drawers, or anywhere else a bond may have fallen.
  3. Write down all information you remember about the savings bond. If you do not locate the bond, write down everything you can remember about the bond. At a minimum, you will need your name and your social security number. Other helpful information includes the denomination of the bond, the issue date, and the bond serial number. If the bond was a gift, the giver’s social security number may be the one associated with the bond; in that case, you will need the giver’s social security number.
  4. Download Public Debt Form 1048. Go to the U.S. Treasury Department’s website and download Public Debt Form 1048 – this is the formed used to replace lost savings bonds. Using the information you have gathered, fill out as much information on the form as possible. Indicate whether you want the bond replaced (showing the original issue date) or redeemed into a bank account of your choosing.
  5. Certify Public Debt Form 1048. Once completed, your signature must be notarized on the form. Most local banks can do this for you for a small fee.
  6. Mail the form to the Treasury, and await your replacement savings bond. Mail Public Debt Form 1048 to the address indicated on the form. Once the U.S. Treasury receives the form, it will search its database for your bond. If it finds a match, it will reissue or redeem the bond according to your instructions.

While it is important to know how to find a lost savings bond, realize all is not lost if you do not locate it. Replacement or redemption is possible with just a little bit of information. Consider opening an electronic account with the Treasury Department to go paperless – and not have to worry about having a paper savings bond lost or stolen again.


SAvings Bond FAQs

show comments

What Others Are Reading Right Now.