How To Find A Travel Partner
Need to know how to find a travel partner? To avoid traveling alone, you need to find a travel partner. Although some people enjoy solo-missions, most travelers prefer having a like-minded companion for company and support. Since traveling can be stressful and taxing, it is imperative that the serious traveler finds a compatible travel partner. The following is a brief list expressing what to look for in a travel partner.
- Similar interests. If one traveler likes to rage all night and the other is into early-morning activities, things might not work out. If one traveler wants to surf all day and the other just wants to sit on the beach, things probably will work out. It is not necessary to find a travel partner with the exact same interests as you, but she should be similar enough to allow both parties to agree on a schedule and route.
- Similar limitations. No one likes to feel held back or pushed too far, so finding a travel partner with similar limitations is important. If two travelers do not have the same basic idea on what they consider fun versus what they consider insane, things might not work out.
- Personal compatibility. A good travel partner should be a friend, or at the very least a tolerable acquaintance. Traveling requires long hours of limited privacy. If you can’t stand your travel partner before you even get to the airport, you’ll probably kill each other in the first week.
- Similar financial situations. It’s okay to live on PB&Js and shower once a week if you’re both poor, but roach-infested, $10 hostels may not seem so charming to a traveler who can afford an actual hotel. Make sure you and your travel partner are on the same page financially. The obvious exception to this rule is a rich friend willing to pay for everything, in which case you can mooch to your heart's content.
- Similar romantic situations. Picture this: you’re all jazzed up to go out into the night and pick up some Latin American stranger, and your travel partner is up in the hotel room on the phone with his lame girlfriend. This situation is going to deteriorate quickly. This goes along with the similar interests category, but merits its own unique attention.