Before filling that donation box, learn how to find a value of a vintage Levi Jean. The market for vintage Levi's spans around the world. The mystique of American cowboys is coveted by people everywhere.
To find a value of a vintage Levi Jean you will need;
- Vintage Levi jeans
- History of the company
- Knowledge of clothing
- Access to Ebay and other online sites
- Study the history of Levi Strauss & Company to get a feel for the evolution of their jeans. Knowing approximately when certain elements were added or taken away will give you an idea of the age your vintage Levi Jean.
- Compare your pair with other similar Levi jeans sold on Ebay or Red Cloud. Red Cloud is a Japanese company that deals in vintage clothing, specifically jeans, T-shirts and other coveted clothing items.
- Take a picture of your vintage Levis. Send to Consumer Relations/OLD LEVI'S/LS/2 P.O. Box 7215 San Francisco, CA 94120 along with a brief description of how you found this particular item and your name, address and phone number. Levi Strauss & Co will not appraise the item, but it can give more information on the age of your vintage Levi's.
- Be sure to take a clear photo of both the front and the back of your Vintage Levis's. Photocopies are perfectly fine. If you want the pictures back: you will need to send a self addressed stamped envelope.
- Be prepared to wait. Going this route takes time, at least 4-6 weeks. The accuracy and confirmation can be important if the garment is in fact a piece of cowboy history.
- Your research may pay off though. In 2001, Levi Strauss & Co paid $46,532 for a pair of Levi's. Bought off of an Ebay auction, these jeans were from the 1880's and fetched the largest price ever for a single pair of vintage Levi's.
1971 is the year Levi Strauss & Co replaces the capital E with a little e on their red tab. Use this as a marker for how old the jeans really are.
- The value of vintage Levi jeans mainly depends on the market. There are yearly fluctuations that can not be accurately predicted.
- Take a chance and put your pair of vintage Levi jeans on Ebay. The value of most any antique depends on how rare the item is and what the market will bear.