How To Find Your Match Online
You might be too busy with work for happy hour, or live in a place where the singles population is slim … so, you want to know how to find your match online. With these tips, your dating life could improve dramatically with just a few clicks.
- Find the dating site for you. Figure out whether you want to skim a dating site’s profiles yourself, a la Match.com, PlentyOfFish.com, or LavaLife.com, or if you want a site that will match-make for you, like EHarmony.com, Zoosk.com or Chemistry.com. Some sites do both, like OkCupid.com and PerfectMatch.com. If you have a special interest, you might want to check out niche dating sites, like BlackPeopleMeet.com, JDate.com or WealthyMen.com. If you want to find a girlfriend online, it pays off to do your research and sign up for site that best suits you.
- Post recent (and super-flattering) pictures. Face it: the first thing a woman is going to look at is your photo. So make sure it’s a good one! As a general rule, post one that’s less than nine months old and that looks like the you in the mirror. That way when you meet in person, she’ll be able to recognize you. For example: posting a pic with your tan from vacation two months ago is ok. Posting a pic when you had more hair is not ok.
- Make your profile clear, memorable … and truthful. Writing long-winded, several paragraph descriptions is not the best way to find a mate online. Instead, write shorter, concise and intriguing descriptions. That way, you’ll leave a bit of mystery. Always tell the truth. Don’t turn your fourteen foot powerboat into an eighty-foot yacht. Little white lies may seem harmless, but the whole truth will always surface eventually, and you don’t want to look shady.
- Send a great, grammatically-correct email. Sending an email to your online match is your first impression. And as everyone knows, you only get one chance at that. So, make sure you capitalize, use proper punctuation, and check your spelling. Also, avoid using words like “honey,” “babe,” “baby,” and “sweetie.” They are terms of endearment when you’re in a relationship, but when you’re just getting to know a lady, they can seem demeaning.
- Ask questions and give compliments. When communicating through email, engage your potential online match by asking her about herself and complimenting her. “You have great style,” “You look very athletic,” “Your smile looks like it could light up a whole room,” are a great start. Keep your emails informative, but short and to the point. That way, you’re leaving something to be desired for when you finally meet in person.
- Don’t spend too much time talking online. The goal is to eventually meet your online lady in person, so try not to spend too much time pining away behind your computer. Once you’ve exchanged a few messages, and she’s feeling comfortable, ask her out. Seal the deal before your chatting becomes so regular that it will feel awkward to meet in person.
- Plan an amazing date. You’ve already wooed her online, now it’s time to wow her in person. For inspiration, find out what her interests are cater your date to them.
- Stay safe. You’re all set to meet your significant other online, but remember to stay cautious. Tell someone where you’ll be and what you’ll be doing on your date, just in case things go awry.
Posted on: Jul. 28, 2010