Learning how to fix a broken acoustic guitar neck is not a complex process. A break in the neck of an acoustic guitar usually occurs between the neck and headstock. Understanding the individual components that make up a guitar is just as valuable as learning strum methods. The headstock sits at the top of the instrument and holds the tuning pegs. This piece flows down to connect to the nut and then the neck of the guitar. Repair experts, such as The Guitar Project, recommend fixing a complete break, as opposed to attempting to fill a crack in the wood.
To fix a broken guitar neck, you will need:
- Wood glue
- Paper towels
- Clamp (bar or spring)
- Severe the two pieces of the neck completely. It is better to reattach two separate pieces than to attempt to repair a crack. Apply gentle pressure to the headstock until it breaks off completely. This way you can restore a clean break.
- Paint wood glue to the broken areas on both pieces. Use a paintbrush and coat the end sections of the broken pieces.
- Slide the two pieces back together so they connect at the glue point. Retain pressure on the glued area while you wipe off any excess adhesive. The glue should only be between the pieces, not on the outside of the neck. Use a wet paper towel to clean the area.
- Attach a bar clamp over the jointed area of the break. Insert a folded paper towel so that it sits between the wood of the guitar and the clamp to protect the finish. Let the piece sit for 24 to 36 hours to allow the glue to cure.
- Sand down the jointed area and refinish the piece if necessary. Often times a break is clean enough that no other work is required. If the joint seems uneven or mars the finish, you may need to sand and apply new varnish to the guitar.
- Some breaks may require a spring clamp instead of a bar clamp. Use a spring clamp if the having difficulties aligning the two pieces together. A spring clamp will set the pieces correctly and allow the glue time to cure.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.