How to fix a broken toe is not as difficult as it sounds. First you have to check to see if you have the symptoms of a broken toe. Did you injure your foot and now your toe has pain, swelling or even bruising? Do you have difficulty putting weight on the foot when you walk? Is the toe bent in an unusual manner? If the answers to these questions are “yes” then you just might have broken your toe. Unless you experience severe pain, bleeding you could try to treat your injury at home. The treatment is called “RICE.”
Essentials for fixing a broken toe:
- Ice (crushed) in plastic bag
- Cotton balls or gauze
- Rest. The number one place to start with any injury is to rest that injured body part. How to fix a broken toe best not to walk on the foot, not to exercise on the foot and especially not to stand for a long period time on the foot. Use crutches if you must walk about.
- Ice. Apply ice every 1-2 hours that first and second day of injury. How to fix a broken toe with ice is you’ll need to keep the ice on the broken toe for 15-20 minutes each session. Place a towel between the toe and ice bag.
- Compression. Place cotton or gauze on the broken toe and loosely tape the broken toe to the toe next to it. This will help prevent blisters and sores between the toes.
- Elevation. Best way to fix a broken toe is to elevate the foot above the heart. Keep the foot propped up during the day and while you are sleeping.
If the pain does not subside or if the swelling continues, seek medical attention. You may need to put the toe in a splint or in a cast. Remember at the first sign of injury is to give that injured part of the body rest.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...