How To Fix A Computer Virus
Because of effective security programs like Norton Antivirus and McAfee's PC-cillin, most people do not need to know how to fix a computer virus. If you're not diligent, your security program can expire or its virus definitions can become out-of-date, allowing a virus to slip through and infect your computer. Maybe you don't even have a security program? In this case, viruses are likely already enjoying a feast on your computer's runtime systems. Regardless of whether you have an up-to-date antivirus program , you should know how to fix a computer virus should one infect and hinder your computer.
How to Fix a Computer Virus Using Your Antivirus Software
- Scan Use your antivirus software to conduct a thorough system scan. Most antivirus programs do this automatically on a regular basis, but a virus might have slipped onto your system in between scans.
- Time Allow time for the program to scan your computer completely; for the best results, try to avoid using your computer during the scan.
- Fix or Remove Study the results of the scan when it is completed. Your antivirus software will likely identify a viral infection and ask you if you want it fixed or removed. Choose "Yes."
- What kind of virus? Learn the name of the virus that has infected your computer by conducting a free scan. Free virus scans are available through many of the major antivirus software websites; they will identify, but not fix, a virus for you.
- Search engine answers. Type the name of the virus, followed by the term "removal," into your favorite search engine. For instance, if your computer is infected with a virus called eviltrojan123, then type 'eviltrojan123 removal' into your search engine.
- Free removal Scan the search results for a website that offers a free removal program for your specific virus.
- Download Download and execute the removal program and that should fix your problem.