Need to know how to fix gefilte fish from a jar, the quick version? Gefilte fish from a jar is delicious on its own, but by adding just a few ingredients, a more "homemade" platter of gefilte fish can be had for your dinner table. Even people who are not cooks can follow this simple recipe and enjoy the flavor of a more robust gefilte fish.
To fix gefilte fish from a jar (the quick version), you will need:
- One jar of gefilte fish
- One medium white onion
- Three tablespoons of whole black peppercorns
- A medium-sized saucepan (using a cast-iron saucepan will give you the best results as it heats more evenly than other pan types)
- Slice the onion into quarter-inch slices. Separate the onion rings and set aside.
- Drain the liquid from the jar of gefilte fish into the saucepan. Depending on the manufacturer of the gefilte fish, the liquid might be more of a jelly, which is fine. Heat to a slow simmer. Do not add the gefilte fish yet.
- Add in the onion slices and the peppercorns to the simmering liquid. Simmer for thirty minutes.
- Using a spoon, add in the gefilte fish into the simmering liquid. Gefilte fish is soft and will break apart if handled roughly, so be gentle! Simmer for twenty minutes.
Gefilte fish can be served warm or cold, but most people prefer it chilled. Serve your delicious gefilte fish on a platter lined with arugula and tomatoes or just plain old lettuce. Provide small dishes of hot horseradish and plates of matzo to complete your gefilte fish appetizer course. Serve with any white wine suited to fish.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.