Every guitarist should know how to fix guitar cables because sooner or later you will come across a shorted out power cord. This can be as simple as a loose connection to as complex as fried wires in your guitar cables. Regardless of the cause, you should know that you can fix guitar cables yourself.
To fix guitar cables, you will need:
- A screwdriver
- A soldering gun
- A pair of wire cutters
- A pair of wire strippers
- Learn how to tell when guitar cables have gone bad. Sometimes this means that the guitar cables will just stop working but at other times they will still work intermittently. Bad guitar cables may also make an annoying hum or buzz.
- Make sure that the guitar cables are the “real” problem. Turn the volume up on your guitar and the amp. Make sure that your tone controls are at least on one. Plug your guitar cables firmly into both the guitar input jack and the amplifier input jack. If either the guitar or amp input or loose the cable may not be able to make a connection.
- Unscrew the metal casing on the jack to reveal the guitar cables. Detach these wires. Look for any fraying. If there is a short, locate it by strumming your guitar with one hand while manipulating the guitar cables until they produce sound.
- Use wire cutters to trim distressed ends. Remove some of the wire’s insulation so that you can reattach the ends of the cable to the jack. Cut off the piece of the cable with the short in it. Trim the frayed wires.
- Attach the middle cable strand to the short prong. Attach the braided wire to the long prong.
- Solder the middle cable strand to the short prong. You may need to de-solder any old connections in order to remove the old bits of wiring that are connected to the prongs.
- Solder the braided wire to the long prong that is on the ¼-inch jack.
- Put the metal casing back on. Screw it into place.
While it will take you some time to fix guitar cables, it will be worth it. Guitar cables are usually expensive so you will want to make sure that you take good care of your guitar cables.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …