If you discovered a leak on your kayak, you need to know how to fix a kayak leak as soon as possible. Most kayaks are made of a type of extremely dense plastic or polyethylene. Unlike carbon glass and metal, polyethylene is a lot easier to fix due to its thin density. There are many ways you can fix a kayak leak. This article will help you find a way to fix the leak so you do not have to spend a ton of money to buy new kayak.
Things you'll need:
- Kayak repair kit
- If there is still water in your leaky kayak, make sure the kayak is completely drained. Water is very counterproductive if you are trying to fix a kayak leak. It will not only affect the repair quality, but it will also have long term hazard. After all, if your kayak is sealed, there is no way for water to get out. If you discover water during the process, stop immediately and wait for the kayak to dry. If it is an old kayak, make sure you do not expose it to sun for a long period of time.
- Identify the problem. You should not treat all problems the same way. A puncture should be treated differently from a dent. A puncture on the kayak can by repaired by welding or with welding patches. A dent will need external heat in order for it to prop up.
- Consider invest in a kayak repair kit. Fixing a leak kayak is easiest with kayak repair kit. These kits are relatively inexpensive. You can use the material the kit provides, which is usually some kind of welding patch, melting polyethylene or glue.
Tips & Warnings:
- The best way to avoid a leaky kayak is to store it in a climate-controlled facility. Do not expose the kayak to long periods of harsh sunlight, as UV light can create cracks on kayaks.
- If any melting events happened during the repair process, stop immediately and wait for the kayak to dry.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.