If you know how to fix a lamp, it could save you a lot of money. Lamps can be expensive and they are fairly easy to fix, especially if you just need to replace a cracked or frayed lamp cord. If this is all you need to fix, don't throw out the lamp and buy new, you can try repairing it yourself. Lamp parts and pieces can be purchased at any home improvement store.
Here are some supplies you will need to fix a lamp:
- wire cutters
- lamp cord
- electrical tape
- new plug for lamp
- Unplug the lamp and remove the shade and bulb. Release the harp by squeezing its arms together. The harp is the piece of the lamp that goes around the light bulb and holds the lamp shade on.
- Free the socket shell from its base by pressing your thumb hard against its side. Pull out the shell with its sleeve still intact. The socket shell it the piece that you screw the light bulb into. Peel the felt pad, if necessary, from the lamp base carefully so you can glue it back later.
- Using wire cutters, cut the existing cord about one foot from the bottom of the lamp base. Using a knife, strip about one inch of the insulation from the old cord still attached to the lamp. Then do the same to the new cord.
- Hook the new cord's wire to that of the old cord. Wrap this connection with electrical tape. Pull the socket up to feed the new cord through the lamp.
- When you see the new cord come through the lamp, cut off the connection and the old cord. Unscrew the pieces that hold the wires and discard the old wires.
- Strip a half inch of insulation from the new cord. Then, attach the two wires to the socket's terminal. Slip the metal and insulating shells over the socket base. Knot the cord in the base to prevent damage on the wires.
- Glue the felt bottom back in place if necessary. Attach a new plug to the cord. That is how to fix a lamp, it seems more difficult than it really is.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.