How To Fix Wiring On Motion Sensor Bar For Wii
You need to know how to fix wiring on motion sensor bar for Wii; did your cat get a hold of it, or did you accidentally vacuum it up? Well, this simple guide will help you fix wiring on your motion sensor bar. The motion sensor bar for the Wii is a simple device consisting of two LED lights that recognize when and where you point the Wiimote at the screen. Though many believe the sensor bar sends this information back the Wii, the wire that connects to the Wii is only used to power those LED lights. Within the main wire are two smaller wires that transmit power to the sensor bar, and it is these wires that we need to repair.
To begin, you will need the following items:
- Wire Stripper
- Electrical tape
- Soldering Gun
- A Lighter (or matches)
- Unplug the Motion Sensor Bar. Unplug the wire from the back of the Nintendo Wii to prevent the wires from shorting out.
- Cut the wire. Make a clean cut to each half of the wire wherever the break or tear was made. This will make two ‘halves’ of the main wire, and will ensure that you have access to an undamaged part of the wire.
- Strip back the protective coating. Use the wire stripper to strip off approximately one inch of the outer coating. If you don’t have access to a wire stripper then you can use a pair of scissors; just make sure you don’t cut completely through the wire. This will reveal the insulating fiber strands (the fluffy white material) and, more importantly, the two wires that you will need to repair. Repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Remove the insulating fiber. Cut away the white fluffy insulating fiber strands so that the two wires that need repaired are clearly visible. This will help you see better when you are working. Repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Burn away the wire insulation. Take the lighter (matches will work as well) and burn away approximately ½ inch of the wire insulation, taking care not to burn yourself. This will expose the actual wire that needs to be repaired. You only need to hold the flame to the wire for a few seconds in order for the protective coating to melt away. Do this to both wires and then repeat this step for the other half of the main wire.
- Solder the wires together. Use the soldering gun to solder the wires back together. Simply match the colors and solder away. You will not need to use a lot of solder as the wires are small and don’t need large contact points. If you unfamiliar with soldering then have a friend who is help you.
- Wrap electrical tape around each soldered wire. After you have finished soldering you will want to wrap each of the exposed wires in electrical tape. This will insulate the wire and prevent them from touching one another or shorting out.
- Wrap electrical tape around the main wire. Once the two soldered wires are taped up you should wrap a fair amount of electrical tape around the main wire. This will create even more insulation.
- Test it out. Plug the motion sensor bar back into the Wii and power it on. Hit the ‘A’ button on your Wiimote and point it at the senor bar to confirm that it is working properly. If it still is not functioning you may have to apply more solder. Unwrap the wires and start fresh at step 5. If it is working then enjoy your newly fixed motion sensor bar and game away.